Friday, May 4, 2012

The Ant and the Crocdile

I cannot avoid not posting something about my daughter, my "Little Bean" this early on.

Solveig is about two and a half years old right now. It just occurred to me tonight that we have an ongoing theme we carry out most nights when I give her a bath. She has two random toys, a small plastic ant and a slightly larger crocodile.Most nights Solveig will drop them in the bath and then we take up the roles of Crocodile (Solveig) and Ant (me). The two swim around and practice dives, and kind of mumble at each other. We hadn't played crocodile and ant for several days. Tonight Solveig had them both out in the bath. I thought she might play with them on her own, but after a moment she looked up at me and simply asked "Ant?" I was so happy that she would still include me in the game.

Since this blog is about memory, I should probably add more Solveig moments. My wife, Shin, and I have a collection of notes commenting on what we think of as major landmarks in Solveig's life. I've found that as Solveig grows older, almost everything she does is surprising, sparkling or new. At two plus she's grown into her own person. There is just no way to keep up with all of those big moments. Then take me, approaching forty. Despite my many years, I feel that there's less I can fall back on regarding memories of my own big moments than Solvieg has. Either way, if I was to try to cover more than a sampling of memories regarding either of our lives, I'd spend the remainder of my time just writing about memories. Swimming in a pool of memories; doggy paddle, breast stroke, free style, butterfly on the back....

No comments:

Post a Comment