Memories normally hit me when I am half asleep, either in the early morning, or as I am coming out of an afternoon nap. They jolt me wide awake. The memories are always nice. "Well hello there old friend. I didn't know you were still spending time in these parts." None of these memories have been of bad times or unpleasant experiences. They are bits and pieces of years gone by come back for a visit, connecting me to my past and still building a foundation of who I am. The jolting awake is not pleasant, and once awake I feel old, which is also unpleasant. The years that slipped away out of view coming back to haunt me and remind me of how far I've travelled, how much the roads have taken a slow but steady toll. It yanks me out of bed or off of the coach. Do something. Do it now. Live in the moment.
What woke me up from my nap earlier today I cannot remember. I did sort out the mystery of the cracked mug. There is a powered ginger drink I have in the office that makes a nice hot drink, somewhat energizing. After emptying my mug there is a left over residue. It's that residue that cracks like glass. So, I am not losing my grip on reality. My memory still works. The mug that was all cracked glaze on the inside one day and then perfectly restored the next day was not my memory playing tricks or glimpses into different dimensions. It was powdered ginger drink.
My older daughter, Solveig, has a birthday soon. She's getting up there in years, leaving childhood behind. I think one of the memories that came back to me was of Solveig when we lived in Virginia. She was still a kid - round faced, big smiles, enjoyed games of tag, chase, dancing around the little house. That was me once too, long ago. It's hard to see in either of us now.

No comments:
Post a Comment